My writing/research has taken me into the kitchen again. This time I am attempting to decipher a recipe for cookies from a cookbook printed in 1798. I wonder if it these Macaroon Cakes would have found their way onto tea trays set out in drawing rooms where debutantes waited for their gentleman callers?
I only made a half recipe and used the following ingredients and procedure:
- 1/2 lb of almond flour (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 lb of confectioners sugar (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 egg whites
- Sift the almond flour and sugar into a bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Combine the egg whites with the almond/sugar mixture.
- Drop onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 15 minutes.
The results were tasty and VERY sweet! I think this recipe might be another fun one to play around with a bit…maybe add a bit of spice or a little lemon zest? What do you think? If you do try the recipe, I would love to hear about it.